Tooth-Colored Fillings – Denver, CO
Seamless Cavity Repair
In the past, dentists always used a material known as silver amalgam to repair spots of decay. While amalgam can be durable, it has many drawbacks. For example, it has a dark color that makes it quite noticeable against the backdrop of white tooth enamel. Today, many dentists, including Dr. Soltani at Paradise Dentistry & Orthodontics in Denver, have abandoned amalgam in favor of tooth-colored fillings, which blend in seamlessly with the surrounding dentition and provide seamless, reliable cavity repair. Read on below to learn more about this restorative treatment.
Why Choose Paradise Dentistry & Orthodontics for Tooth-Colored Fillings?
- Completely Metal-Free Restorations
- Highly Experienced Dentist
- Beautiful, Durable Results
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
The purpose of a dental filling is to fill in a cavity, thereby stopping the decay from spreading and protecting the tooth’s sensitive inner layers. A tooth-colored filling is made out of biocompatible composite resin, which may contain tiny pieces of plastic, glass, and other materials. They are completely free of any metals, including mercury, which is a main ingredient of traditional silver amalgam fillings.
The resin can be shade-matched to blend in beautifully with the natural color of your tooth enamel, so it can allow you to maintain your smile’s natural appearance.
The Process of Getting a Tooth-Colored Filling
The process of getting a tooth-colored filling takes just one appointment, which usually lasts less than one hour. Here is an overview of what you can expect:
- First, we may numb your mouth. (If a cavity is not very deep, local anesthesia may not be necessary.)
- Once you are comfortable, we will use a drill to remove decayed tissue from inside the cavity.
- We will insert the shade-matched resin and use a special curing light to harden it within a matter of seconds.
- We will polish and adjust the filling so it will look good and will not interfere with your bite.
The Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Some outstanding benefits of tooth-colored fillings include:
- Onlookers may never have any idea that you have a filling. Plus, unlike amalgam fillings, tooth-colored fillings do not stain the surrounding enamel.
- Not reactive to temperatures. Metal fillings tend to expand and contract in response to temperature changes, which can cause damage and sensitivity. Tooth-colored fillings do not have this problem.
- Ideal for people with metal sensitivities. Many patients appreciate that tooth-colored fillings are free of toxic mercury.
- With proper care, a tooth-colored filling can last for several years.
- Less tooth preparation. When preparing a tooth for a tooth-colored filling, we have to remove very little healthy dentition. Amalgam fillings require more extensive modifications to the teeth.